5 Reasons You Should Learn Indonesian Before Traveling to Indonesia
As an avid traveler, I always do my research before visiting foreign countries. This includes learning some key phrases such as basic greetings, how to order food, asking for directions, and cultural do’s and don’ts.Although English is widely spoken throughout the world, I still find it handy to learn how to say things in their native languages. How about traveling to Indonesia ? Do Indonesians speak fluent English or would you benefit from learning Indonesian before visiting the ever famous Bali Island or Jakarta?
In my opinion, it depends on the region you’re heading to. In famous tourist spot such as Bali, you might find it easy to communicate with them in English. However, it might not be the case for older generations. They speak little or no English at all. The same applies in Jakarta as well.
If you’re on a business trip to Jakarta, it’s highly beneficial for you to pick up some Indonesian language beforehand. Your willingness to communicate in Indonesian undoubtedly makes the good impression last. They will be more cooperative since you show some interest in their language and culture. You might not be fluent but hey, it’s the effort that counts!Back to the question above, so is it necessary for me to learn Indonesian before visiting Indonesia? The answer is a solid “yes”!
If you’re not convinced yet, let me summarize the benefits:
1. You can easily ask for directions where GPS doesn’t work. (Yes, there are many small streets and alleys not listed on the map).
2. You can build instant rapport with your Indonesian business partners that might lead you to closing more deals. (Isn’t that awesome?)
3. You won’t order chicken and they serve you beef instead. (Remember in Indonesia, most of the menus are written in Indonesian).
4. You will know if they talk bad behind your back. (Hope it won’t happen!)
5. You can speak one more language. (How good is that?)
I’m sure that there are more benefits in learning Indonesian that I don’t list here but hey, after knowing the benefits, it’s about time for you to learn Indonesian don’t you think?